Saturday, August 8, 2009

BOOK SIGNING POND CLUB & CULPEPPER PLACE

BOOK SIGNING POND CLUB & CULPEPPER PLACE


Yesterday I did a book signing at Culpepper Place, 2114 New Holt Rd. Paducah, KY, a residential apartment complex for Senior Citizens. I had so much fun. I shared information on how I obtained recipes from various celebrities for my cookbook, “Favorite Recipes of Kentucky Celebrities.” The emphasis was on celebrities they would like information. Examples: Fess Parker, Dale Evan, Irvin S. Cobb, Vice- President Alben Barkley, John Scope, and Soap Opera star Kassie DePavia.

The really neat surprise was the opportunity to meet Virginia Glover, who owned Hales Restaurant in Smithland, Ky. The restaurant was there for nearly 50 years and everyone there told me how great it was. Mrs. Glover said that when they filmed the movie “How The West Was Won” in the Smithland, KY and Cave In Rock, IL area, in 1963 that all the stars (John Wayne, James Stewart, Henry Fonda, Gregory Peck, Carol Baker, and Debbie Reynolds) would come to the restaurant every day for lunch. She said her special recipe was Chess Pie.

When I told her, I was working on collecting recipes for a second cookbook she promised to share her recipe.


In addition to doing the book signing at Culpepper Place, I also did a book signing at a local Pond Club. These 2 booksignings and individual purchases allowed a nice donation to Paducah Cooperative Ministry.

Remember the cookbook is available to any non-profit organization that would like to use it as a fundraiser, or if you would like an individual copy (Retail $19.95 with proceeds going to a local Paducah Charity) please contact Pam Whinnery, 270-554-5332, whinneryw@bellsouth.net.

No comments: